Monday, June 21, 2010

To the Muslim American Society


Dear Members of the Muslim American Society,

Over the last two weeks, I have watched and read the local news with disgust. As an American, I am so embarrassed and ashamed by the Islamophobic and racist actions expressed by the citizens of Midland Beach, New York. I would like to think they do not represent the America I have been taught to respect and value; however, as I have seen from this and other instances, I fear America is not as enlightened and advanced of a country as I'd want it to be.

I realize many Americans are still angered and afraid of the 9/11 attacks. But despite that horrible event, the ignorance and racism expressed toward your group are unjustified. Moreover, if the terrorists intended to spread fear and discord, then they have obviously succeeded. It frustrates me to see the people of Midland Beach and Lower Manhattan damaging more of our American ideals by trampling your freedom to live and prosper peacefully as a people.

It angers and saddens me to see your religious group fall victim to these bigoted, ignorant, and misguided views. I am ashamed by the actions and statements of these citizens. Your Muslim religious organization should not have to face this hate and anger. Although I am not a religious person, I do respect and value the indelible American right that is our freedom of and from religion. I am sorry to hear you're group was refused the opportunity to build your mosque in Staten Island. I hope you will be able to find a community to welcome you so that you can worship your religion in peace.

in solidarity,
Nicholas Allanach

No comments: