Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Way Life Should Be?

“All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words.” – Harvey Milk

As a native Mainer who fully supports equality and justice for all I was extremely saddened by the news this morning that my home state rejected the right for same-sex couples to marry. Of course my disappointment can never compare to the tremendous heartache and confusion the families whose lives and love are daily affected by the hurtful and hateful decision made by the majority of Maine voters yesterday. No words can console these feelings. My heart and thoughts go out to those affected by this vote.

My first reaction of sadness quickly turned to anger. I’m always so frustrated by the religious zealots, soccer moms, and back-wood rednecks whose bigoted vision of America is not one of equality and acceptance but instead guided by ignorance and fear. Despite my anger, I realize any struggle for freedom will not happen overnight and that resentment and rage will never help anyone on this tough journey toward a more evolved and enlightened society. That said, although we must not give-in to anger, no one should give up. The decision voters made in Maine is WRONG and history will one day show this as true.

Perhaps voters in Maine were afraid that “homosexuality would be taught in schools”? …So what? LGBT people constitute a rich part of our lives and culture. Homosexuality should not only be acknowledged but celebrated. By not acknowledging the truths of our world because they do not fit into our own purview of what is “normal” does not mean these things go away. Thus, we do a disservice to our children and our American future by not accepting the truth, which is that the love shared between people of the same sex is just as valuable and important as the love shared by heterosexuals. It is unfortunate Maine voters did not realize this truth.

Thus, the fight is never over. Admittedly, Maine’s unfortunate decision will have repercussions across the country. Politicians may begin seeing “the right to marry” as a “non-issue”. Perhaps President Obama will focus even less on LGBT rights? Accordingly, those who stand for equality must continue to press this issue and never compromise. “All men are created equal”, but it will obviously take longer for all people to be treated equal.

Until that day I remain...

In solidarity.

6 comments:

Ron and Ben said...

As Ben and I awoke to this news, we said, "Thankfully we live in the true Land of the Free where EVERYONE IS WELCOMED AND CELEBRATED." GOOD MORNING, CANADA.

Matthew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew said...

After losing a round with NYC, I only came back "home" to lose yet another round with Maine. I voted despite the rampant homophobia here in Windham and the incessant arguing with my parents about equal rights. Love is a (or should be) a fundamental right of all human beings, and by stating that homosexuals are not welcome to the benefits and sanctity to this right is by nature a gross violation. My heart goes out to all who are keeping up the fight. This just leaves me to take yet another step towards the Eiffel Tower and away from "Vacationland".

Laurie T. said...

I voted "No". I wonder how many of those "yes" voters have cheated on their spouse? I'm not saying this whole campaign was about infidelity because it's not, and that if you're gay you're faithful and that being straight makes you a cheater. The reason I ask this is because the biggest argument against same sex marriage was it goes against the sanctity of marriage. I disagree because of infidelity and divorce. Those vows apparently aren’t that important if a “yes” voter has cheated on their spouse (there has got to be at least one). This is just one example of hypocrisy on the part of a “yes” voter that may have been unfaithful. I have no doubt there are many more examples. My point being that allowing same sex couples to marry isn’t going to ruin the sanctity of marriage. Straight couples have been doing that for years.

Peter said...

Well said Nick!! I am greatly saddened. I will vote again with my pocket vote and avoid the businesses who supported the "yes" I suggest people who are for equality and voted "no" stop putting money in the church collections . That is something they will understand!!!

DeHuman8 said...

resentment won't help, but rage will, so long as we let it make us more focused. i'm sick of the passive liberal, 'well, we lost but we'll try again.' FUCK THAT! get mad, that rage can drive you to strive harder. as far as i'm concerned these religous zealots are a danger to themselves & others and need to be put down like a rabid racoon would be.